Waller & Beckwith Realty Co.
Submitted by gfrere on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:59
Waller & Beckwith Realty Co. Waller & Beckwith Realty Co. Records, 1911-1976, bulk 1921-1943.
The Waller family arrived in Chicago from Kentucky in the 1860s, when James B. Waller settled on the north side of the city. He developed the surrounding area into the Buena Park neighborhood, and established a real estate company with his brothers William, Edward, and Henry. James B. Waller died in 1887 and the company remained in the Waller family. James B. Waller's grandson, also named James B. Waller (b.1888), took over as president in 1920, partnering with James L. Beckwith.
Among the buildings managed by Waller & Beckwith was the Pattington, located at 660-700 W. Irving Park Blvd. Constructed in 1904 and included in the U.S. National Register of Historic Places, the u-shaped, multi-unit building with connecting courtyards was bought by Waller & Beckwith in 1923 and managed by them for many years. The company kept offices there until the 1970s.
Business records of Waller & Beckwith Realty Co., a family-owned Chicago real estate company, including general business files and legal documents. Papers include city assessments and municipal regulations, rent payments, leases, tenant complaints, applications for employment, contracts, collections, lawsuits, and insurance records. Covering primarily 1920-1940, the collection documents living conditions in Chicago and changes in the city during the depression years and the period between two world wars.
17.5 linear feet (18 boxes and 9 ledgers)
Call Number: Midwest MS Waller B
1911 - 1976