Sinai Congregation (Reformed)
Submitted by admin on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:04
The Sinai Congregation is Chicago’s third oldest synagogue, founded in 1861.
In 1912, it moved to a new location at 44th and Grand Boulevard (now King Drive), from its previous building at Indiana and 21st. There is a vintage postcard of the Grand Boulevard synagogue at the website ChicagoPC.info.
In 1949, the congregation moved to a building at 53rd and Lake Shore Drive.
A book entitled The Beginnings of the Chicago Sinai Congregation by Bernard Felsenthal was published in Chicago 1898 and is available at the Newberry (Call # F 6187 .29) or through Google Books.
There is a collection of 526 marriages from Sinai Congregation, 1861-1905, posted on Jewishgen at:
The American Jewish Archives in Cincinnati, Ohio holds records of this congregation and has placed a finding aid online.
The congregation's current website offers a history of the synagogue.
1912 - 1949