Submitted by jack on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:05
The Sinai Congregation is Chicago’s third oldest synagogue, founded in 1861.
In 1996, the congregation moved to its present temple, from its previous location at 53rd and Lake Shore Drive.
The Newberry Library holds a commemorative volume from the dedication of the temple in 1997:
Chicago Sinai Congregation:Weekend of Dedication (Chicago: Sinai Congregation, 1997) Call No. BM225.C45 C4 1997.
A book entitled The Beginnings of the Chicago Sinai Congregation by Bernard Felsenthal was published in Chicago 1898 and is available at the Newberry (Call # F 6187 .29) or through Google Books.
There is a collection of 526 marriages from Sinai Congregation, 1861-1905, posted on Jewishgen at:
The American Jewish Archives in Cincinnati, Ohio holds records of this congregation and has placed a finding aid online.
The congregation's current website offers a history of the synagogue.
1996 - 9999