Submitted by jack on Wed, 2014-11-12 10:51
The Savoy built in "Chicago's Harlem" in 1922. The posh ballroom offered premier jazz bands and exemplary service. It also recruited African-Americans as employees, at a time when most employers refused to hire them. The Savoy remained an important feature of 47th Street district, until the massive urban renewal projects of the 1970s when it was demolished. Now the site of the Harold Washington Cultural Center.
1927 - 1954