Randolph German Restaurant
Submitted by liz on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:42
Note: The Newberry Library holds the personal papers of author John Drury.
RANDOLPH GERMAN RESTAURANT, 234 West Randolph Street
Max Koppel, proprietor of this quiet, unobtrusive old establishment at the west end of the bright light sector, is a restaurateur with an impressive background. His first employment in this country was in Delmonico's in New York City, one of the greatest restaurants in America. Then, when Henry M. Kinsley, a noted Chicago caterer, and his son-in-law, Gustav Baumann, opened the Holland House in Manhattan in 1891, Max Koppel went over to that establishment. It was in the Holland House, which became almost as famous as Delmonico's, that Max learned the art of catering. A few years later, Max came to Chicago and joined the Kinsley restaurant here. Its five stories all devoted to catering purposes, Kinsley's was the greatest of all Chicago restaurants. At the time it closed. Max Koppel was manager of its dining rooms.
With a background like this, Max ought to be expected to serve good food. He does. His German dishes are comparable to those served in any of the other worthwhile Teutonic eating houses of the town. Especially notable, however, is Max's hasenpfeffer, which, of course, can only be served between Thanksgiving and January 31. His beef a la mode, his smoked ribs of pork, and his potato pancakes are also worthy of mention. The Randolph is a clean, quiet place and has an atmosphere of the old days about it. It is open only for luncheon and dinner.
Maitre d'hotel: Max Koppel