Ohave Sholom Mariampol/ Anshe Sholom
Submitted by admin on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:01
This congregation was founded in 1870. According to most accounts, its members split from Beth Hamedrash Hagodol after a disagreement over proper attire at a service. For this reason, it was sometimes referred to as “the Straw Hat Shul” after the particular adornment that sparked the conflict.
It next moved to Polk and Ashland from it's previous location on Canal Street near Liberty (now 14th). Meites records the move in 1905, while the Anshe Sholom B’nai Israel website records the year as 1910. It appears in the city directory on Canal as late as 1915. The Polk and Ashland Temple is mentioned in a Tribune article on October 9, 1913.
In 1916, Ohoave Sholom Mariampol merged with Anshe Kalvaria, which previously met at 705 W. 12th, and the merged congregation was renamed Anshe Sholom.
In 1928, it moved to Independence Boulevard and Polk.
Meites' History contains a profile of this congregation on pages 489-492.
The Anshe Sholom B’nai Israel website also has a history of the congregation.
Congregation Enavi Sholom Marjampol (1874 city directory)
Congregation Ahavi-Sholom (1877 city directory)
Ahavi Sholom Mariampol (1915 directory)
1910 - 1928