Ohave Sholom Mariampol
Submitted by admin on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:01
This congregation was founded in 1870. According to most accounts, its members split from Beth Hamedrash Hagodol after a disagreement over proper attire at a service. For this reason, it was sometimes referred to as “the Straw Hat Shul” after the particular adornment that sparked the conflict.
In 1877, it moved to a new location at Canal near Liberty (now 14th), from its previous location near Polk and Dearborn. At first, it met at a rented space near Canal and Liberty.
In 1887, it dedicated a new temple at 582 S. Canal (which would be 1347 S. Canal today.) The Tribune reported on the dedication on Sept.12, 1887. The temple is pictured on page 490 of Meites history.
It next moved to Polk and Ashland. Meites records the move in 1905, while the Anshe Sholom B’nai Israel website records the year as 1910. It appears in the city directory on Canal as late as 1915. The Polk and Ashland Temple is mentioned in a Tribune article on October 9, 1913.
Meites' History contains a profile of this congregation on pages 489-492.
The Anshe Sholom B’nai Israel website also has a history of the congregation.
Congregation Enavi Sholom Marjampol (1874 city directory)
Congregation Ahavi-Sholom (1877 city directory)
Ahavi Sholom Mariampol (1915 directory)
1877 - 1910