Submitted by admin on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:03
Meites’ 1924 History of the Jews of Chicago records that this congregation was founded in 1890.According to Meites, the congregation moved 29 O’Brien (which became 636 O’Brien after the street renumbering of 1909) in 1895. The Chicago Tribune reported on the building of a new synagogue at this address on June 5, 1898. By 1923, a branch of the congregation was established at 1321 S. Spaulding. According to A Walk to Shul by Kraus and Schwartz, the congregation moved to a new building at Douglas and Christiana in the late-1920s.
Congregation Mishno Gemora (City directory of 1923)
Congregation Mishna Ugmoro (Meites)
Misho Gmoro (Chicago Tribune)
Mishne-Ugmoro (Chicago Tribune)
Mishne Ugnovo (Chicago Tribune)
Chebrah Gemorrah (Chicago Tribune)