Douglas Bl and Hamlin Av
Submitted by admin on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:03
Meites' History of the Jews of Chicago records that Kehilath Jacob was founded in 1890. It originally met on Pacific Avenue, and then in a residence at Kramer and Jefferson. In 1908, it purchased a building at Centre (now Racine) near Taylor from a French church. In 1915, it moved to a new synagogue at Douglas and Hamlin. The congregation is described in A Walk to Shul by Kraus and Schwartz.
In 1956, the congregation merged with Congregation Beth Samuel and moved to 3701 W. Devon.
1915 - 1956