Kehilath B'nai Sholom
Submitted by admin on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:02
Kehilath B'nai Sholom, or Sons of Peace, is Chicago’s second oldest synagogue. It was organized May 25, 1852.
On July 17, 1876, the Tribune reported on a cornerstone-laying ceremony at the new home of this congregation, described as being on "Michigan Avenue near 16th." In city directories for subsequent years, the address is listed as 1455 S. Michigan. The congregation's previous home was at Harrison and Fourth, but that structure was destroyed by the fire of 1871. Following the fire, the congregation met at several temporary locations near 14th and Wabash.
In 1891, the congregation moved to the building at 26th and Indiana that previously been occupied by Kehilat Anshe Maariv.
The online version of the Jewish Encyclopedia of 1906 contains a profile of this congregation.
A centennial book of this congregation was published in 1952.
Sons of Peace
Kehilo Brag Sholom (1858 directory)
Kehilo Bane Sholom (1861 directory)
Kehillath B’nay Shalom (1875 directory)
Congregation of the Children of Peace (Cutler)
1876 - 1891