Kehilath B'nai Sholom
Submitted by admin on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:02
Kehilath B'nai Sholom, or Sons of Peace, is Chicago’s second oldest synagogue. It was organized May 25, 1852. According to Cutler’s history, it first met at 189 Lake Street, above the clothing store of Solomon Harris. It first appears in the city directory of 1856 at Washington and Dearborn. According to the Tribune of Dec. 10, 1858, this location was above the bakery of Orrin Kendall, and the congregation rented the space in 1855. According to the Tribune, Kendall evicted the congregation in 1857, prompting a lawsuit. The congregation then met at several Clark Street locations before building a synagogue at Harrison and Fourth in 1864.
The online version of the Jewish Encyclopedia of 1906 contains a profile of this congregation.
A centennial book of this congregation was published in 1952.
Sons of Peace
Kehilo Brag Sholom (1858 directory)
Kehilo Bane Sholom (1861 directory)
Kehillath B’nay Shalom (1875 directory)
Congregation of the Children of Peace (Cutler)