Submitted by admin on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:03
The congregation Kehilat Anshe Maariv (Congregation of the Men of the West) was founded in 1847. It was the first synagogue in Chicago.
In 1923, KAM moved to a new building at Drexel and 50th from its previous location at Indiana and 33rd. In 1971, it merged with Isaiah Israel and moved to that congregation's building at Greenwood and Hyde Park Boulevard. The building at Drexel and 50th was subsequently purchased by Operation PUSH, the civil rights organization.
The KAM Isaiah Israel website has a brief history of the congregation.
The online version of the Jewish Encyclopedia of 1906 contains a profile of this congregation.
Kilah Anshe Marif (1859-1860 directory)
Kehilath Anshe Magriv (1857 directory)
Kehillat Anshe Ma'arab (Jewish Encyclopedia)
KAM Isaiah Israel (current congregation)
Kehillath Anshe Maarib (1891 directory)
Kehilath Anshe Maarev (1875 directory)
Men of the West
Thumbnail photo by Samuelalove, used under a Creative Commons license.