Submitted by admin on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:03
The congregation Kehilat Anshe Maariv (Congregation of the Men of the West) was founded in 1847. It was the first synagogue in Chicago.
In 1869, KAM moved to Wabash and Peck from its previous location at Adams and Wells. The building had previously been occupied by the Grace Episcopal Church. The Chicago Tribune reported on the dedication of the new location on May 15, 1869. This location was not damaged by the fire of 1871, but was destroyed by the "Second Great Fire" of 1874. The congregation dedicated a new building at Indiana Avenue and 26th Street in 1875.
The KAM Isaiah Israel website has a brief history of the congregation.
The online version of the Jewish Encyclopedia of 1906 contains a profile of this congregation.
Kilah Anshe Marif (1859-1860 directory)
Kehilath Anshe Magriv (1857 directory)
Kehillat Anshe Ma'arab (Jewish Encyclopedia)
KAM Isaiah Israel (current congregation)
Kehillath Anshe Maarib (1891 directory)
Kehilath Anshe Maarev (1875 directory)
Men of the West