Submitted by admin on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:00
The congregation Kehilat Anshe Maariv (Congregation of the Men of the West) was founded in 1847. It was the first synagogue in Chicago.
It first met in a rented space on the southwest corner of Lake and Wells Street. In 1851 it moved to a new building at Clark and Quincy.
The KAM Isaiah Israel website has a brief history of the congregation.
The online version of the Jewish Encyclopedia of 1906 contains a profile of this congregation.
Kilah Anshe Marif (1859-1860 directory)
Kehilath Anshe Magriv (1857 directory)
Kehillat Anshe Ma'arab (Jewish Encyclopedia)
KAM Isaiah Israel (current congregation)
Kehillath Anshe Maarib (1891 directory)
Kehilath Anshe Maarev (1875 directory)
Men of the West