Submitted by chicagomewb627 on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:57
Chicago's first public ferry ran out of this area. It was run by a Native man or Native people from 1808-1832. In 1829 it was considered a privately run service mostly for patrons of Wolf Point Tavern, Chicago's first pub. After having been established for sometime, the local settlers referred to the ferry as the "grapevine" ferry.
See Dankers, Ulrich and Jane Meredith. Early Chicago: A Compendium of the Early History of Chicago to the year 1835, when the Indians Left. Menomonee Falls,WI: Inland Press, 1999. Call number# Ayer 160.9 .F35 1876a (Special Collections-4th floor).