Submitted by ccottier on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:54
"The End of Fort Dearborn." Chicago History. Vol. IV, No. 11 (Spring 1957): 328.
Call No. Local History Ref F548.1.C465 (2nd floor open shelf).
The original fort was built in 1804 and was burned down during a siege by American Indians in 1812. In 1816 the U.S. Army returned to rebuild the fort (in the same location as the original), and this second fort stood until 1857 when it was torn down (though one building was left standing until 1860).