First Roumanian/ Shaari Shomayim
Submitted by admin on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:04
First Roumanian was founded in 1897. After several temporary locations near Roosevelt and Clinton, it moved into a permanent synagogue on Union near 14th. The address of this location was 497 S. Union before 1909, and then 1352 S. Union after the address change of 1909. In 1926 the congregation moved to a new temple at Douglas and Millard.
The congregation disbanded in the early 1950s, according to A Walk to Schul by Kraus and Schwartz. It last appears in the classified listings of the phone book in 1952-53.
The Tribune published an article about the 50-year anniversary of this congregation on May 18, 1947.
First Roumanian (1906 city directory)
Shaari Shomain (1923 city directory)
Gates of Heaven
Romanian Synagogue (Cutler)
First Romanian Congregation Anshe S’fard (Kraus and Schwartz)
1906 - 1926