Submitted by jack on Wed, 2014-11-12 10:51
In 1875, Ernest Lehman, a German immigrant started a firm that would become one of Chicago's most prominent department stores. Lehman's company made available less expensive, but high quality items for the middle and working classes to purchase. The $3-million-dollar, twelve story building covered the half block between State, Adams and Dearborn. Montgomery Ward eventually bought the store, and changed the name in 1964. The building was demolished in 1984.