Congregation of the North Side/ Temple Sholom
Submitted by jack on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:05
The congregation now called Temple Sholom was founded in 1867 and was originally called the North Side Hebrew Congregation. It was the first synagogue on North Side.
In 1929, it moved to its current temple at Stratford and Lake Shore, having been located at Pine Grove and Grace previously.
There is a vintage postcard of this location on the ChicagoPC.info website.
The congregation published a book to commemorate its 125 anniversary in 1992:
Lefkovitz, Elliot. 1993. Temple Sholom: 125 Years of Living Judaism, 1867-1992.
Call # BM 225 .C42 T46 1994.
There is a brief history of the congregation on its website.
Church of the North Side (1868 city directory)
Congregation of the North Side (1876 city directory)
Congregation of the Temple Sholom (1915 city directory)
North Side Hebrew Congregation (Jewish Encyclopedia)
Thumbnail photograph by Flickr member Atelier Teee, used under a Creative Commons license.