Congregation of the North Side/ Temple Sholom
Submitted by admin on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:04
The congregation now called Temple Sholom was founded in 1867 and was originally called the North Side Hebrew Congregation. It was the first synagogue on North Side.
In 1915 it dedicated a new temple at Grace and Pine Grove, having previously been located at La Salle and Goethe. It remained at this location until 1929, when it moved to its current temple at Stratford and Lake Shore. The Grace and Pine Grove building is now the home of the Anshe Emet Synagogue.
The congregation published a book to commemorate its 125th anniversary in 1992:
Lefkovitz, Elliot. 1993. Temple Sholom: 125 Years of Living Judaism, 1867-1992.
Call # BM 225 .C42 T46 1994.
There is a brief history of the congregation on its website.
Church of the North Side (1868 city directory)
Congregation of the North Side (1876 city directory)
Congregation of the Temple Sholom (1915 city directory)
North Side Hebrew Congregation (Jewish Encyclopedia)