Congregation of the North Side/ Temple Sholom
Submitted by admin on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:03
The congregation now called Temple Sholom was founded in 1867 and was originally called the North Side Hebrew Congregation. It was the first synagogue on North Side.
It dedicated a new temple at La Salle and Goethe in 1895. The Chicago Tribune covered the dedication on May 18 of that year. During the construction of this temple, the congregation met at a nearby location at Division and La Salle. Prior to that, the congregation's temple was located at Walton and Rush. In 1915, it moved to a new temple at Grace and Pine Grove and was listed as Temple Sholom rather than the Congregation of the North Side.
The congregation published a book to commemorate its 125 anniversary in 1992:
Lefkovitz, Elliot. 1993. Temple Sholom: 125 Years of Living Judaism, 1867-1992.
Call # BM 225 .C42 T46 1994.
There is a brief history of the congregation on its website.
Church of the North Side (1868 city directory)
Congregation of the North Side (1876 city directory)
Congregation of the Temple Sholom (1915 city directory)
North Side Hebrew Congregation (Jewish Encyclopedia)
Public domain thumbnail image from The Jews of Illinois (Chicago : Bloch & Newman, 1901), page 342. Available through the Internet Archive.
1893 - 1915