Congregation of the North Side/ Temple Sholom
Submitted by admin on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:03
The congregation now called Temple Sholom was founded in 1867 and was originally called the North Side Hebrew Congregation. It was the first synagogue on North Side.
On August 23, 1884, the Tribune reported on the dedication of the congregation's new temple at Rush and Walton. Its first home on Superior had been destroyed in the fire of 1871, and it had been meeting at several temporary locations. It continued to meet at Rush and Walton until 1892, when it moved to a temporary location at La Salle and Division while constructing a new temple. The new temple, located at La Salle and Goethe, was dedicated in 1895.
The congregation published a book to commemorate its 125th anniversary in 1992:
Lefkovitz, Elliot. 1993. Temple Sholom: 125 Years of Living Judaism, 1867-1992.
Call # BM 225 .C42 T46 1994.
There is a brief history of the congregation on its website.
Church of the North Side (1868 city directory)
Congregation of the North Side (1876 city directory)
Congregation of the Temple Sholom (1915 city directory)
North Side Hebrew Congregation (Jewish Encyclopedia)
1884 - 1892