Congregation of the North Side/ Temple Sholom
Submitted by admin on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:03
The congregation now called Temple Sholom was founded in 1867 and was originally called the North Side Hebrew Congregation. It was the first synagogue on North Side.
After the first temple burned in the fire of 1871, the congregation met on Dearborn near Washington Square. It was listed here in the city directories from 1876 to 1881, then moved temporarily to La Salle and Oak before dedicating a new temple at Rush and Walton in 1884.
The congregation published a book to commemorate its 125th anniversary in 1992:
Lefkovitz, Elliot. 1993. Temple Sholom: 125 Years of Living Judaism, 1867-1992.
Call # BM 225 .C42 T46 1994.
There is a brief history of the congregation on its website.
Church of the North Side (1868 city directory)
Congregation of the North Side (1876 city directory)
Congregation of the Temple Sholom (1915 city directory)
North Side Hebrew Congregation (Jewish Encyclopedia)
1876 - 1881