Congregation of the North Side/ Temple Sholom
Submitted by admin on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:03
The congregation now called Temple Sholom was founded in 1867 and was originally called the North Side Hebrew Congregation. It was the first synagogue on North Side.
The first temple, on Superior between Wells and Franklin, was dedicated on September 20,1867, as reported in the Chicago Tribune that day and the following day. This structure burned in the fire of 1871. The congregation was not listed in the city directory again until 1876, when it was located on Dearborn near Washington Square.
The congregation published a book to commemorate its 125th anniversary in 1992:
Lefkovitz, Elliot. 1993. Temple Sholom: 125 Years of Living Judaism, 1867-1992.
Call # BM 225 .C42 T46 1994.
There is a brief history of the congregation on its website.
Church of the North Side (1868 city directory)
Congregation of the North Side (1875 city directory)
Congregation of the Temple Sholom (1915 city directory)
North Side Hebrew Congregation (Jewish Encyclopedia)
1867 - 1871