Submitted by admin on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:03
Congregation Emanuel was founded in 1880. It originally met in a temporary location at Blackhawk and Sedgwick, according to The Jews of Illinois (1901.) It purchased a new building at 280 Franklin Street in 1886, and is first listed there in the city directory of 1888. In 1897, the congregation moved to Belden and Burling.
A history of this congregation was published in 1930.
1887 - 1897