Congregation B'nai Abraham
Submitted by admin on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:02
B’nai Abraham was an early synagogue of the west side. Irving Cutler’s Jews of Chicago and The Ghetto by Louis Wirth both give 1870 as the year of the congregation’s founding, but it is not listed in the city directory until 1876. An article published in the Chicago Tribune of Dec. 3, 1877 lists 1874 as founding year.
In 1892, it moved to Marshfield south of Taylor from its previous location at Johnson and Wright (now Peoria and 14th Place) The Chicago Tribune, covered the dedication of the new temple on Sep 10, 1892. There is a photograph of this temple on page 73 of Robb Packer's Doors of Redemption.
In 1918, the congregation moved to Washington and Karlov and merged with Zion Congregation shortly thereafter.
The merged congregation subsequently moved to Oak Park, and is now Oak Park Temple B'nai Abraham Zion. Their website has a brief history of this congregation.
1892 - 1918