Congregation B'nai Abraham
Submitted by admin on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:02
B’nai Abraham was an early synagogue of the west side. Irving Cutler’s Jews of Chicago and The Ghetto by Louis Wirthboth give 1870 as the year of the congregation’s founding, but it is not listed in the city directory until 1876. An article published in the Chicago Tribune of Dec. 3, 1877 lists 1874 as founding year.
In 1879, the congregation moved to Johnson and Wright (now Peoria and 14th Place)from its previous location on Halsted near 18th. It appears on Robinson's Atlas of 1886 at this location. In 1892 it moved to Marshfield south of Taylor.
This congregation merged with Zion Congregation in 1918, and the merged congregation subsequently moved to Oak Park, and is now Oak Park Temple B'nai Abraham Zion. Their website has a brief history of this congregation.
1879 - 1892