Congregation Beth El/ Rodef Sholem
Submitted by admin on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:04
Congregation Beth El was an early congregation on the Northwest side, founded in 1871. It was orginally known as Rodef Sholom.
According to The Jews of Illinois (1901), they first met at a rented space at Peoria and Ohio. The first permanent synagogue was at May and 2nd (now Grand.) The Tribune covered the dedication of this building on Sept. 7, 1872. On June 22, 1873, a wind storm destroyed this building. The temple was rebuilt at May and Huron. At that time, it changed its name to Congregation Beth-El.
In 1902, the congregation moved to Crystal and Hoyne.
A centennial book of this congregation was published in 1971.
Rodef Sholom Church (1873 city directory)
Congregation Bethel (1902 city directory)