Congregation Ahavas Achim
Submitted by admin on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:00
Congregation Ahavas Achim, 1255 Newberry Ave. was first listed in the Chicago city directory in 1903, at 108 Newberry. After the street renumbering, that address became 1255 Newberry Ave. The congregation met at this address as late as 1944. The Chicago Tribune reported on a fire at the synagogue on March 31, 1944.
According to Schwartz and Kraus, this congregation eventually merged with Beth Jacob Anshe Kroz at 3540 W. 15th, and the congregation continues as Beth Sholom Ahavas Achim at 5655 N. Jersey.
1903 - 1944