Congregation Agudath Achim
Submitted by admin on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:56
The (Jewish) Magyar Tribune; 10 July 1925
REORGANIZATION OF THE HUNGARIAN- JEWISH CONGREGATION
The first Hungarian congregation in Chicago worked very fruitfully for thirty years. When it was in its blossoming days, eighteen years ago, it built a most beautiful church on the corner of Marshfield Avenue and Polk Street, The priest was that prominent and well-known speaker and orator, Rabbi Moses Fischer who speaks eloquently in both Hungarian and in English, and he stayed with this congregation for twenty years, after which he was chosen to be the rabbi in a Hungarian-Jewish congregation in Detroit. Soon after he left, the Hungarian-Jewish Congregation disbanded.
Furthermore the officers of this congregation became uninterested and sold all the property, the value of which amounted to some $60,000, Thus due to the lack of interest in the congregation, the people who belonged to it were slowly absorbed into other congregations, and they soon found out that these new congregations cared for their membership only until they had acquired the wealth of the Hungarian-Jewish Congregation.