Submitted by rjkoziel on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:57
The Chopin Theatre was originally built in 1918 by M.F. Strunch Architects as a 987 seat movie theater in Chicago's predominantly Polish neighborhood of Wicker Park. Over the years the theatre went through several name changes and alternate uses before eventually becoming vacant and rundown. In 1990 Polish immigrant Zygmunt Dyrkacz bought the building and after renovating it, reopened it under the original name of Chopin Theatre.
Since then the theatre has hosted over 1,400 events and over 7,000 presentations with performers coming from over 40 different countries. In addition, the Chopin Theatre has produced over 110 of its own productions, mostly of a Polish or Eastern European nature. Over the years the Chopin Theatre has won several Best of the Year Theatre Awards from the Chicago Tribune, Chicago Sun Times, and TimeOut Chicago amongst others. The Chopin Theatre continues to be regarded as one of the best theatres in all of Chicago.