Chicago Fine Arts Building
Submitted by gfrere on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:53
The Fine Arts Building has been a haven for artists since 1885. The Newberry has several manuscript collections with ties to this building.
Little Room Records, 1898-1931
During the first years of the 20th century there existed in Chicago a weekly meeting of men and women from the arts who called their social gathering The Little Room. Scattered records regarding the formation and operation of club from the late 1890's to 1931. Includes correspondence, most of which, both incoming and outgoing, is brief and relates mainly to membership matters. Also, accounts and bills, address cards, an autograph book, executive committee meeting records (1902-1909), membership lists (ca. 1900-1922), and secretarial forms and notices.
Fuller, Henry Blake, 1857-1929. Papers, 1868-2000, bulk 1874-1929.
Chicago novelist, essayist, critic, and satirist, whose writing encompassed realistic depictions of the Midwest, such as the The Cliff-Dwellers, and fanciful travel romances. Fuller was active in Chicago's Little Room and aided Harriet Monroe with Poetry: A Magazine of Verse. His papers include some outgoing correspondence, but consist primarily of incoming correspondence, and manuscript and published copies of his works, 1874-1929. Also diaries and travel journals, mementos, sketches and photographs, musical scores, theater programs, clippings, and articles about Fuller.
"The Chicago Literary Club, 1924-1946." Chicago Genealogist.
Chicago IL. Summer 1995. Vol 27, No. 4, 129-170.
Call No. Local History Ref F 548.1 .C45 (2nd floor open shelves)
A history of the club from 1924 to 1946,located at 410 S. Michigan Avenue in the Fine Arts Building. Includes a list of members for this period.
1874 - 1931