The Arcade (Pullman)
Submitted by nwhite on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:55
The Arcade was completed in June of 1882, and was envisioned as one of the main social complexes of Pullman. The largest non-factory building in the town, the Arcade was a block long, covered about an acre, and contained shops, a library, a theater, other general-use rooms, and offices on its first and second floors. A third story held meeting rooms for various lodges, including the Masons and Odd Fellows. A precursor of the modern shopping center, the Arcade was designed with dry-goods shops on the main and second floors rented to various proprietors; a subscription library on the second floor; and an ornate 1,000-seat theater, also on the second floor. In May of 1883, the Pullman Loan and Savings Bank moved into the northeast corner of the Arcade, with a post office (northwest corner) also joining the list of tenants.
Additional photographs, including exterior, interior, and blueprints available at the above link.