Anshe Dorom Beth Hamedrash Hagodol
Submitted by admin on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:01
Beth Hamedrash was founded in 1866, and combined with another new congregation, B’nai Jacob, the following year. The first synagogue was at 134 Pacific Ave. According to Meites' History of the Jews of Chicago, it purchased a temple from B’nai Sholom at Michigan and 14th in 1886. After meeting at that location for several years, it moved back to 134 Pacific until 1902. At that time, the congregation decided to split into two, with a congregation on the South Side and another on the West Side.
The South Side congregation was known as Anshe Dorom Beth Hamedrash Hagodol. It established a synagogue at 3434 South Wabash in 1906. Roughly 10 years later, the South Side congregation moved again, to 5129 S. Indiana. It appears that the congregation moved from this location by 1933. The telephone book for that year lists "Congregation A D Beth Hamedrash Hagodel" at 5345 Greenwood. It is no longer listed after that year.
1916 - 1933