Submitted by admin on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:00
According to Meites, Agudas Achim was founded in 1884 by Hungarian Jews, first meeting on Maxwell Street. In 1898, the congregation purchased a former Baptist church at 307 Maxwell Street (which would be 834 Maxwell under the current address system). In 1906, the congregation moved to a new synagogue at Marshfield and Polk.
The website of Agudas Achim North Shore Congregation includes a history of the congregation:
Agudus Achem (city directory)
Agudath Achim Anshe (city directory)
Agudas Achim North Shore Congregation (current name)
1898 - 1906