Submitted by tessden98 on Wed, 2014-11-12 12:00
John Gregory, shipbuilder, was born in County Armagh, Ireland, in 1822. He came to America in 1844, married Catherine Leonard, and after some time in Sheboygan, Wisconsin, settled in Chicago by 1858. From the 1860s through the 1880s, Mr. Gregory built about thirty commercial vessels for the Great Lakes, mostly tugs and schooners. By 1866, John Gregory and his wife Catherine lived at 273 N. Franklin Street (now 907 N. Franklin Street). After the Chicago Fire of 1871, he temporarily reloated to Sheboygan, returning in 1873. By 1893, Mr. Gregory still maintained a carpentry business at 1410 Wrightwood (now 948 W. Wrightwood Avenue) and lived at 1209 Waveland Avenue (now 1149 W. Waveland Avenue). Mrs. Gregory died in February, 1894, and John in March, just two weeks later. the couple are buried at Calvary Cemetery in Evanston, Illinois.
For further details, contact the Chicago Genealogical Society. John and Catherine Gregory are Pioneer Ancestors numbers 259 and 260.