Submitted by liz on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:42
Note: The Newberry Library holds the personal papers of author John Drury.
For Hyde Parkers — and Others
Mr. and Mrs. Charles G. Parker have been caterers to the south side ever since that day when Charles A. Comiskey, "The Old Roman" of baseball fame, came into their delicatessen store at 36th Street and Cottage Grove Avenue and ordered a sandwich. That was over thirty-five years ago. Comiskey brought his friends to the Parker store and soon the proprietors had to change it into a restaurant. The food was of the best quality and well cooked. When the neighborhood changed its complexion, the Parkers moved farther south to Hyde Park. They now have an attractive restaurant on Hyde Park Boulevard, across the street from the historic Hyde Park Hotel, serving food of the highest standards and skillfully cooked. This was the favorite dining place of the late Chicago novelist, Clara Louise Burnham, and Charles S. Deneen, former senator of Illinois, comes in often. The oyster cocktails, fried chicken, clam chowder, and lemon cream pies are worth going a long distance for. An excellent dinner of English beef stew with pickled walnuts can be had here. Parker's caters to genteel old-time residents of genteel old-time Hyde Park and is also patronized by University of Chicago students and professors — as well as by lovers of good meals from everywhere. Women are not permitted to smoke.
1510 Hyde Park Boulevard
Open for luncheon and dinner
Table d'hote luncheon, 60 cents. Table d'hote dinner, $1.00
Maitresse d'hotel: Anna Flagg