Agudas Achim North Shore Congregation
Submitted by admin on Wed, 2014-11-12 11:00
Agudas Achim North Shore Congregation is the product of a merger between two congregations: North Shore Sons of Israel and Agudas Achim.
North Shore Sons of Israel was founded in the Edgewater neighborhood in 1918. It dedicated its first permanent synagogue at 5029 Kenmore Avenue in 1923.
According to Meites, Agudath Achim was founded in 1884 by Hungarian Jews, first meeting on Maxwell Street. In 1906, the congregation built a new synagogue at Marshfield and Polk. It had previously met at 307 Maxwell Street.
In 1923, the two congregations merged. The combined congregation met at 5029 Kenmore Avenue.
The website of Agudas Achim North Shore Congregation includes a history of the congregations.
Agudus Achem (city directory)
Agudath Achim Anshe (city directory)
Agudas Achim North Shore Congregation (current name)