All of the data in ChicagoAncestors is sorted into one of the following categories. Examples of the type of data that might be included in a category are also provided in parenthasis.
- Arts, Entertainment & Sports (theaters, arenas, clubs, etc.)
- Buildings & Structures (houses, skyscrapers, bridges, etc.)
- Crime (homicides)
- Education (libraries, schools, museums, etc.)
- Geographic Areas (community areas, wards, etc.)
- Groups & Organizations (clubs and fraternal organizations)
- Historical Events (events such as the Eastland disaster, Century of Progress, etc.)
- Individuals & Families (you and your family, as well as famous individuals and families)
- Photographs & Images (photographs, drawings, maps, etc.)
- Public Spaces (parks, cemeteries, plazas, etc.)
- Religious Institutions (churches, mosques, synagogues, temples, etc.)
- Transportation (railroads, harbors, airports, etc.)
If you submit data to ChicagoAncestors but are not sure which category to use, leave the field blank and the staff will select the appropriate category for you.